It Starts Today
The Y is a non-profit like no other. When you join the Y, you're coming together with men, women and children from your community who are committed to youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Welcome to the Y!
Our general policies and procedures can be found in our program guide; for a more in-depth look at our membership guidelines, download our membership handbook.
Your membership charges can be paid in the following ways:
- Automatic withdrawal from your checking account
- Automatic debit from your credit card
- 3, 6 or 12 month advance payment by cash or check
Should you choose to end your Y experience, please fill out a termination form prior to the 15th of the month. Failure to do so will result in membership charges for the next month. The $45 joining fee must be paid upon membership reactivation. *Membership holds will be granted for medical reasons only.
Make sure to sign up for your FREE Healthy Lifestyles Consultation. Healthy Lifestyles is a free, 6-week health & wellness orientation for new members to get your workout routine started.
This free, 6-week program is designed as a fitness program for individuals who have never worked out before, need a re-introduction to fitness, or who are looking for guidance with their current fitness routine.
Upon completion of Healthy Lifestyles, members will:
- Improve strength and flexibility
- Reduce body fat
- Increase energy, and decrease stress
- Gain a thorough understanding of all exercise equipment
- Set goals, and overcome barriers in your personal fitness program
Frequently Asked Questions by New Y Members:
- Free Group Exercise classes
- Reduced member rates for Y programs, including progressive swim lessons
- Access to multi-use aquatic facility for water exercise classes, lap swimming, and recreational swimming
- Wellness center includes cardio equipment, weights & indoor walking/jogging track
- Gymnasium access for basketball, volleyball, pickle ball and large group activities
- Drop-off child watch/nursery services for kids 6 weeks to 7 years
- Free fitness testing & evaluation
- Locker rooms include a family locker room for parents and children, and those with special needs, as well as gender appropriate youth and adult locker rooms
- Onsite full, or part-time child care
The Alexandria Area YMCA offers membership in the following categories:
|Youth (17 Years and under)|
|Young Adult (18-24 Years)|
|Adult (25 Years and older)|
The $45 fee is paid upon membership sign-up and will only be charged once except in the case of a lapse in membership.
You may cancel your monthly membership at any time by coming to the YMCA, completing a cancellation form, and turning in your membership card(s). The cancellation form must be completed prior to the 15th of the month, to terminate for the following month. Memberships are non-refundable.
We grant medical holds only, for a maximum period of 3 months.
Take full advantage of your membership by using our free Child Watch service! Attend a group fitness class, swim, or take a walk with a friend while our experienced caregivers take care of your children. Child Watch services are available for children 6 weeks to 7 years old.
Child Watch Hours
|Monday – Thursday
||8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
||4 p.m. – 7 p.m.
||8:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.
||8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Guests are always welcome at the YMCA! All guests must register at the front desk, and guests under 10 must be signed in and accompanied by an adult. As a part of membership, 4 guest passes for family and friends are included.
The Alexandria Area YMCA participates in the AWAY program, which means we welcome members of other Y's to visit us up to 8 times a year. Once the 8 visits expire, AWAY members are welcome to pay the daily guest pass fee.
|Youth (-17 Years)
|Young Adult (18-24 Years)
|One-Adult Household (1 Adult + Kids)
|Two-Adult Household (2 Adults + Kids)
The Y is a cause for strengthening community. That's why we're here working with you every day, making sure that you, your family and community have the resources and support your need to learn, grow and thrive. Financial assistance is offered to individuals and families who may not otherwise be able to afford a Y experience.
The YMCA does not turn anyone away due to the inability to pay. Financial aid is available for membership and programs to those who qualify. Applications are available at the welcome center desk, or requested electronically, email@example.com.
Scholarships are awarded using a sliding fee scale based on household income and household size. Scholarships must be renewed every 6 months, regardless of whether your financial situation has changed.
Please fill the scholarship application out thoroughly, and return it to the YMCA. Be sure to include copies of ALL documentation of financial status, or income listed on the front side of the application. If you don’t have access to a copy machine, we will be glad to make copies at the Y.
Scholarship applications are only processed on the 15th and the 30th of the month.
Download financial assistance application here
YMCA members in eligible insurance plans with Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota, Blue Cross Blue Shield SeniorGold, Medica*, Health Partners, Health Partners Freedom Fitness, Preferred One and UCare**, can receive a $20 (single) or $40 (couple) reimbursement per month by working out a set number of days each month. That's more money in your pocket for staying healthy!
*One adult (18+) covered by an eligible Medica plan may enroll in the program.
Call the 1-800 number on the back of your insurance card to see if your plan qualifies!
Winter Hours (Oct. – Apr.)
|Monday – Thursday
||5 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
||5 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
||7 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
||10 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Summer Hours (May – Sept.)
|Monday – Thursday
||5 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
||5 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
||7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
||10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
YMCA Building Policies & Guidelines
General Building Policy
- Members and guests 6 and under must be directly accompanied by a supervising adult, or in child watch services
- Members and guests 7 years – 9 years of age may use the facility, with a supervising adult present in the facility
- Members and guests 10 years of age and older, may use the facility independently
- Lap lanes are open to members and guests 13 and older
- Children under the age of 7 must be directly accompanied by a supervising adult in the aquatic center
- Members and guests 12 years of age and older are permitted full use of the walking/running track, after completion of active teens
- Members and guests 10-13 years of age may be directly accompanied on the walking/running track by a supervising adult
- No one under the age of 10 is permitted on the walking/running track, except during designated family track times
- Members and guests 10th grade, or 16 years of age and older, may participate in fitness or group exercise classes